Thursday, December 1, 2016

Pondering: Advent 2 – the Visitation

            I remember how confused I was about all that was happening to me.  Who was I to have the Messenger of the Lord come to me?  Who was I to be chosen to bear a child – a child that would be God Made Known In the World.  Who was I to do any of those things.  Yes, I had grown up around the Temple.  I consider myself a quiet devoted child.  Yet I know that there are other young girls who must have been equally devoted.  God chooses whom God will choose and thanks be to God, God chose me.
            I knew  about Zechariah’s sudden inability to speak and rumors that his wife, who was clearly beyond child-bearing years, was expecting a child.  She was part of my extended family and she was someone with whom I felt could talk.    I hurried to her home in the hill country of Judea.

            The visitation narrative in the Gospel of Luke begins and ends with a coming and a going as the framing words for the story.  The verbs used convey a sense of urgency, of movement, of anticipation.  Here were two women separated by many years who had in common their being chosen by God to bear sons who would transform the world.  When Mary comes through the front door the child within Elizabeth “leaped in her womb”.  According to tradition John, who would be called “John the Baptist”, was six months older than Jesus.  So Elizabeth had probably experienced movement before this moment.  And as awe-inspiring as is that experience, this was so much more.  This was movement that was filled with joy and Elizabeth, in turn, was filled with the power and presence of the Holy Spirit.

            Things happened so quickly when I entered their home.  Zechariah, bless his heart, was unable to say anything or to relate his experience when his child’s birth was foretold.  Elizabeth was the one to give voice to what was happening.  I’m glad I got to hear it from her.  It meant so much to me coming from expectant mother to expectant mother.

            Elizabeth’s greeting was an affirmation of all that Mary had been told.  She first of all claimed the blessedness of Mary and the child that was to be born to her.  Her reference to “the mother of my Lord” is an early Christian affirmation of faith.  The author known as Luke was writing this decades after the event.  The faith community that had formed around him was no doubt using such an affirmation, just as we use Affirmations of Faith in our worship services.  Then Elizabeth declared that the baby she was carrying had leaped with joy just as had been foretold.  Elizabeth’s fourth observation was to Mary – she would be blessed because God’s Word would be fulfilled.

            My heart was so full the words came forth in a song of praise.  Deep within my soul the memory of Hannah and the song that had been passed down in sacred scripture came out of my mouth but with my own experience, my own belief, my own faith speaking my own words. 

And Mary said,
“My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm,
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants forever.”

            These words are Mary’s gift to us this Holy Season.  As the gospel writer named Luke gave these words to Mary he was telling us his understanding of Jesus.  Jesus is the one who will be born of Mary and who will tell all who will listen that God’s desire is to minister to the poor.  We are then called to be in ministry for those in need, whatever their needs may be.  This Magnificat tells us what God’s Reign will look like.  Jesus will tell us that the Kingdom of God has come to earth with him and Jesus will teach his disciples to pray:  “Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven”. 

            The Magnificat is one of three liturgical hymns incorporated in the infancy narratives of Luke. 
                        Magnificat (Luke 1:46-56)
                        Benedictus (Luke 1:66-79)
                        Nunc Dimittis (Luke 2:28-32)

            The Magnificat is one of the readings used in the Vesper Service  (also called Evening Prayer or Evensong).

            I encourage you read the words several times over the period of Advent.  You can access musical renditions of the text through UTube or by Goggling “Magnificat”.  I invite you to look up the hymn of Hannah and see the similarities (! Samuel 2:1-10)

            May this scripture reading be a blessing to you this Advent.

Grace and Peace

Rev. Clara

No comments:

Post a Comment