Monday, March 26, 2018

Lent 6 – at the cross

            We entered the wilderness on Ash Wednesday, as did Jesus after his baptism.  It was to be for us, as it was for him, a time to give serious consideration to our faith life.  We framed our journey within the tradition of the classic seven deadly sins:  sloth, envy, lust, greed, gluttony, wrath, pride.  We became aware during our journey that these categories fit more than individual behavior.  They have serious repercussions on our life together.  They form, in essence, the evil Jesus spent his earthly life lifting from those whom he encountered in his day-to-day life.  They name the kinds of things we have been called to work against if we are to be faithful disciples.

            Now, after six weeks, we stand at the end of Lent but at the foot of the cross.  The last category looms in front of us – pride.  Can we say no to pride and yes to Jesus?  That is the ultimate question of Holy Week. 

            In Matthew 26 we read:  When it was evening, he took his place with the twelve; and while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.”  And they became greatly distressed and began to say to him one after another, “Surely not I, Lord?”

            We stand at foot of the cross.  Will we let Pride keep us from being Christ’s hands and feet in the world?  Will we turn our back from the cross so we can avoid admitting that by our actions or our inactions we have been complicit in the ways that sloth, envy, lust, greed, gluttony, and wrath have done their damage to the lives of God’s Beloveds?  Will we walk away from the cross hand in hand with Pride, justifying our position by our own egos?

            Or will we fall on our knees and surrender our pride to loving arms of our savior.  The answer to pride is in the words of the hymn written by Judson W. VanDeVenter, “I Surrender All.”  May it be our prayer this Lent.

All to Jesus I surrender, all to him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust him, in his presence daily live.
I surrender all.  I surrender all,
all to thee, my blessed Savior, I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender, humbly at his feet I bow,
worldly pleasures all forsaken: take me, Jesus, take me now.
I surrender all.  I surrender all,
all to thee, my blessed Savior, I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender, make me, Savior, wholly thine:
may thy Holy Spirit fill me, may I know thy power divine.
I surrender all. I surrender all,
all to thee, my blessed Savior, I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender, Lord, I give myself to thee;
fill me with thy love and power, let thy blessing fall on me.
I surrender all.  I surrender all,
all to thee, my blessed Savior, I surrender all.

Grace and peace,

Rev. Clara

No comments:

Post a Comment